WALK THE PEAK DISTRICT

07:01:00

- This post is a lengthy one. Brace yourselves. -

I'm currently living in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, so I have access to the Peak District National Park quite easily - 30min drive by car/1hour by bus (depending on which part of the Peak District).

I have always loved outdoor activities and that includes hiking! Coming from a tropical rainforest country, the hiking experience here (in the UK) and Malaysia is totally different. Here, its more to walks up to the peaks and you get to see amazing views with cold breeze blowing at your face (so this is probably the most hiking I do here. haha). But in Malaysia, you literally trek through the rainforest jungle, soaked in your sweats and get bitten by leeches, yikes!

OK, that may sound a bit bias, but to some people (i.e. my husband), hiking in rainforest jungle is far more interesting and challenging. It just depends on personal preference really, I just happen to have a really bad hiking experience with 3 leeches up my neck! (in Gunung Nuang, Malaysia). Therefore, I prefer the walks here where I don't get bothered by insects/bugs that much. haha.

So, the Peak District is one of the many national parks in the UK, located in the midland area of England (in North Derbyshire County). It lies in between Sheffield and Manchester, hence my frequent visits. I'm not going to go into detail about the Peak District's character, size, geology, etc. More info here.

(Image source: Google maps)

I have also been so some other places in this national park (i.e. Matlock Bath - Heights of Abraham, Bakewell, Chatsworth House), but this post is dedicated to the walks I've taken at the Peak District. For more walks trails/routes, see here.

So here are my personal top favourite spots in the Peak District for a good weekend walk that also offers beautiful scenery:

BAMFORD EDGE, HOPE VALLEY


Bamford Edge is one of my favourite, mainly because of the view it offers. The slope for the climb up the hill is not really steep, so its a fun and leisurely walk up until you reach the rock edges (no extreme fitness required!). The edges consist of gridstone rock that juts out from the hill edges and as you walk further along, you will come to see this stunning view towards the Ladybower Reservoir. Nonetheless, the views you get while walking along these edges are also breathtaking, overlooking hillsides and little English cottages in Bamford village from afar.




If you come in late summer (August), you will be accompanied by a sea of beautiful purple heather during your walk.












I say check the weather forecast, if its going to be a sunny day, pack your snack/lunch and some hot tea in a flask and start to make your way to see this amazing view!
(Photos credit to my lovely friend, Yttria)

STANAGE EDGE, HATHERSAGE



Similar to Bamford Edge, Stanage Edge also consist of gritstone edges that overlook Hathersage Village and the surrounding moorlands. Due to being among the larger portion of gritstone in the Peak District, this site is famous for walking and rock climbing. I've always wanted to do some climbing or bouldering here, but I don't know why, I just never got round to doing any. sigh. Maybe one day.

The access/walk towards the Stanage Edge provides various experiences, so I suggest you take your time and enjoy the whole journey of the walk. In some part you'll walking through green woodland type of area and the next minute you'll walk next to sheep!

I've been here a couple of times, so I'll just compile some of the photos from several visits (that's why you'll see some photos will have bright blue sky and some with less attractive grayer sky :p) - some of these photos credit to my friend Takako and Shayi.
















Once I came here for a walk in late summer to see heather around the moorland of Stanage Edge. The walk, again was a very relaxing and leisurely walk as my friends and I got to enjoy the view with our snacks, while the wind blew lightly at us which makes it even more perfect and worth it.







It was magical to be able to walk within the sea of purple heather; although this photo couldn't do justice to the real experience, it's definitely worth a visit!

CASTLETON, HOPE VALLEY


I find Castleton to be your typical English village with their traditional landscape surrounding it. You can basically walk up from any of the hills you see to enjoy the best views. A couple of friends and I decided to walk up this one and we sure are glad we did because we got to see some amazinggggg views! The weather at the time was very windy and cold, but there were still many other visitors hiking up for a picnic on the hills. There were even people paragliding (many of them so the sky looked so lively and colorful!). 












 

(Photos courtesy of my friend, Do Gyun)

UPPER DERWENT (DERWENT RESERVOIR), HOPE VALLEY

The walk along the Derwent dam in autumn is just surreal. The vibrant red, orange and yellow leaves will leave you in awe. It feels like walking in wonderland! Everywhere you walk and any corner you turn, you will be fed with such beautiful landscape and autumn scenery; like those wallpapers! I'm not saying anymore, the photos will speak for themselves.

Upon reaching the entrance, you will find a small cafe and some toilet facilities. If you don't prefer walking long distances, you can rent a bike and go as far as you like along the reservoir. My husband and I walked for miles and my feet hurt so bad at the time I'm not lying (because we kinda got lost along the way. haha). We came across more cyclists than people that walked, so I will definitely go again with a bike one day!






Magnificent red and orange landscape scenery.


We drowned into this surreal beauty of autumn wonderland!














This post will probably have an updated version of other walks I'll take in the Peak District. There are definitely much more beautiful places and landscape around this national park that I have yet to explore - until then.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe